Solazyme Named #1 Hottest Company by Biofuels Digest
Solazyme Named Top Company in Bioenergy for 2009-10
Biofuels Digest Ranks Solazyme #1 in 50 Hottest Companies in Bioenergy
South San Francisco, CA – December 2, 2009 – Solazyme, Inc., a renewable oil and bioproducts company using algal biotechnology, is ranked number one among the 2009-10 "50 Hottest Companies in Bioenergy" rankings, published today in Biofuels Digest, the world’s most widely read biofuels daily. The award, which more than 1400 companies were eligible for, recognizes innovation and achievement in bioenergy.
"It's an honor for Solazyme to be selected for this award in such an important industry publication," said Jonathan Wolfson, CEO, Solazyme. "Our team works hard every day to address the world’s critical need for energy alternatives, and to be recognized for our achievements is fantastic."
Solazyme achieved a number of milestones in 2009 in its quest to use microalgae biotechnology to produce clean and scalable fuels, "green" chemicals, nutritionals and wellness products. Notable achievements include:
- Closing a $57 million Series C financing round
- Winning two U.S. Department of Defense Navy contracts for jet fuel and ship fuel which constitute the largest quantity of fuel derived from algae or any microbial fuel to date
- Completing a "field-to-wheels" carbon dioxide analysis which concluded that Solazyme's algal biofuel, Soladiesel™, reduces greenhouse gas emissions 85 to 93 percent when compared with petroleum-based diesel
- Being awarded a California Energy Commission PIER grant to develop fuel from cellulosic material
- Announcing a formal commitment to commercialize algal renewable oil production technology for food and fuel at the 2009 Clinton Global Initiative
- Welcoming energy and government experts R. James Woolsey, TJ Glauthier and Donald Kennedy to Solazyme’s leadership team
In 2009, Solazyme also took home the San Francisco Business Times' Bay Area Green Business Award in Renewable Fuels, the TiE50 Top Cleantech Start-Up award, was named to the UK Guardian Clean Tech 100, and was one of two companies presented with the "Green Leap" distinction at the Clinton Global Initiative.
For more information, please visit www.solazyme.com.
# # #
Solazyme, Inc. is a renewable oil and bioproducts company and the leader in algal biotechnology. Founded in 2003 and headquartered in South San Francisco, Solazyme’s unique technology allows algae to produce oil and biomaterials in standard fermentation facilities quickly, efficiently and at large scale. These oils and biomaterials are tailored not only for biofuel production, but also as replacements for fossil petroleum and plant oils in a diverse range of products running from clean fuels and chemicals to cosmetics and foods. Solazyme’s oils and fuels provide compelling solutions to increasingly complex issues of fuel scarcity, energy security and environmental impact while fitting cleanly into the pre-existing multi-trillion dollar fuel infrastructure. Solazyme’s investors among others include Braemar Energy Ventures, Harris & Harris Group, Lightspeed VenturePartners, The Roda Group, and VantagePoint Venture Partners. For more information, please visit our website: http://www.solazyme.com.
For More Information Contact:
VP, Corporate Communications
650-963-5228 (direct line)
ggaramendi [at] solazyme [dot] com